A lovely hot, slightly spicy soup, great on a cold day. Fall is here, and squash are all over the supermarkets, so this is a great way to take advantage of that!
Butternut squash is an awesome vegetable. It has a sweet, nutty flavor that really gets brought out when roasted, and it’s an excellent source of fibre, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, and potassium. You can also roast the seeds with salt and pepper for a yummy snack!
Prep time: ~1 hour
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled, with the seeds and pulp removed, and cut into small chunks.
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil.
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced.
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed or minced.
- 1 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander, curry powder.
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes.
- 1 can coconut milk.
- 1 can vegetable stock or water*. Water will do in a pinch, but stock adds a really nice depth of flavour to the soup.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Hot sauce, if desired.
* use the same can that the coconut milk was in, and fill it with the stock or water. Making your own stock is easy, I’ll post a simple stock “recipe” (can’t really call it a recipe, it’s so easy) soon.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Toss the squash with about 1 tbsp of olive oil, roast in the oven at 350 F for 40 minutes, or until soft and lightly caramelized. When about ten minutes are left on the timer, start on the rest of the soup.
Add the rest of the olive oil to a large pot, and place on the stove at medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until soft and fragrant. Add the spices, mix thoroughly, and fry it all together for 2 minutes.
Pour in the coconut milk and the vegetable stock, stir well. Bring to a gentle boil.
Add the squash, and puree with an immersion blender, food processor, or blender. Be careful not to splash yourself, as the soup is very hot!
Continue to cook until bubbling, then turn down the heat and allow to simmer for at least 5 minutes. Serve piping hot, and enjoy! Delicious on its own, but I personally like to dip pita bread into it.