Inspired by salads I made many a time when we had a large herb garden. Yummy and fresh, a great salad to eat in the summer.
Prep Time: ~10 minutes
- 1 head lettuce, or the equivalent amount of other leafy greens (spinach, kale, etc).
- 2 handfuls fresh leafy herbs (basil, tarragon, dill, oregano, marjoram, etc).
- 1 small handful fresh chives, chopped.
- 1 bell pepper (red, orange, or yellow), cut into small strips.
- 1 handful cherry/grape tomatoes, halved.
- 1 tbsp olive oil.
- 2 tsp vinegar (balsamic and raspberry are nice).
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
Wash the lettuce and tear it into bite sized pieces. Wash the herbs. Spin these into a salad spinner to get rid of the water, or pat dry with a paper towel. Place the lettuce and herbs in a large bowl.
Toss in the pepper slices and the tomatoes, then prepare a dressing as such: add the olive oil and toss to coat the leaves, then add the salt and pepper and toss again, and finally add the vinegar, stirring the salad one last time to coat everything evenly. The dressing should be added just before serving, to prevent the lettuce and herbs from wilting.